Housing Needs For The Forthcoming Year

The snap election seems to have taken many people by surprise, including, it would appear, the Prime Minister who called it. Having been deprived of her last minister for housing, Gavin Barwell, who lost his seat, she has recently appointed a replacement in the form of Alok Sharma. Given that he is the 6th housing minister to be appointed in roughly as many years (since 2010), it is an open question as to how long he will stay in post, but assuming he makes it to this time next year, what are his priorities likely to be?

Housing refurbishment

While many newspaper headlines have been devoted to the overall shortage of housing and the corresponding difficulty of “getting on the housing ladder”, the tragic events at Grenfell Tower have brutally highlighted the fact that some of the UK’s existing housing stock is in drastic need of refurbishment. What form this will take will depend on just how bad its condition is. In some cases, it may be possible simply to update and upgrade existing buildings. In other cases, the only realistic option may be to demolish the existing structure and start again.   In either case, it is very possible that the high-profile nature of the Grenfell Tower fire will mean that the refurbishment of existing properties goes to the top of the political agenda.

Home-building

The Conservative manifesto promise was to build a total of 1.5 million new homes by 2022, of which 1 million were to be delivered by 2020 (this total including houses built as a result of actions taken by the last parliament). It will be interesting to see whether or not the Conservatives will be able to make good on this pledge. The simple fact of the matter is that government support for home building is dependant upon tax revenues and the uncertainty around Brexit may make it rather difficult to forecast how many people are going to be in the UK to pay taxes, let alone how many of them will be in work and what level of tax they will pay. Added to this, there is a large question mark hanging over the availability of labour for the construction industry, which has long relied on trades people from eastern Europe, which makes it difficult to predict the cost and schedule of housing projects and that is without taking into account the fact that the weakness of Sterling may well continue for the foreseeable future and while this is good news for exporters (and inbound tourism), it is bad news for anyone who needs to import either materials or labour (or encourage labourers already in the country to stay here instead of taking their skills elsewhere). Notwithstanding all this, it is to be hoped that the government will do all it can to support home building as the UK has long suffered from a shortage of housing stock.

Improving the situation for renters

Previous housing minister Gavin Barwell pledged to ban lettings agencies charging fees to tenants. This change has yet to be implemented, although given the amount of press coverage it received, it would probably be politically-challenging for the Conservatives to reverse the decision. While this pledge was welcomed by tenants, landlords and lettings agencies commented that any fees charged to landlords would have to be passed on to tenants. Those in favour of the change, countered that this does not appear to have been the case in Scotland. This, however, is a bit of an open question. Rents have risen in Scotland since the ban on letting agent fees (to tenants) was introduced in 2012 and although a 2013 study found that only 2% of landlords raised rents specifically because of this, it is still entirely possible that the change factored into the calculations of the other 98%. Ultimately the issues in the rental market reflect overall lack of supply and the only meaningful way to address this is to improve the supply, for example by encouraging build-to-rent schemes.

Continue reading

King’s Lynn update – May16

The team are delighted to report the acquisition of a new site in Kings Lynn Norfolk.  The site is a 6 Acre high profile site within very easy walking distance to the Town Centre and train station. It has outline planning permission for 98 homes, the team are progressing with appointed architect to progress and submit for full planning later in the year.  A pre-application meeting with the planning officer has already taken place, the outcomes of which have been worked into the site plan.

file_000           file_001        file_002

Continue reading

© 2017 Bastien Jack. All Rights Reserved